OOS Energy has unveiled a new vessel design that will serve the offshore wind sector, in addition to oil & gas. The company will build two units of the vessel and is now in final talks with shipyards for the construction with an expected delivery in 2020/ 2021.Image: OOS EnergyThe two new Multi Activity Units (MAUs) in OOS Energy’s fleet will be self-propelled, dynamically positioned jack-ups with a lifting capability that can be used in the offshore wind energy sector for installation of monopiles, jacket foundations and wind turbines. The units will be equipped with a large accommodation and two 1,200-tonne cranes each, and will be able to work in water depths of up to 80 metres.The first vessel, to be named Luctor et Emergo, is expected to be delivered in the fourth quarter of 2020, while the second one will be rolled out in early 2021.OOS Energy is an affiliated company of Dutch Holding OOS International Group B.V., which signed a fixed contract for the engineering and construction of two Semi-Submersible Crane Vessels (SSCVs) with China Merchant Industry Holdings in August 2016. The company plans to use the two SSCVs for commissioning and decommissioning of offshore wind structures. The construction of the SSCVs, with a total dual lifting capacity of 4400T per vessel, is scheduled to be completed in 2019.
South Korea’s shipping firm SM Line has unveiled plans to remove four vessels from its Indonesian services.The company will withdraw the ships from the Korea-Jakarta route as the member companies from the Korea Shipping Partnership (KSP) started the second round of service reorganizations.With the withdrawal of the ships, one of the five routes on the Korea-Jakarta trade would be cut.The latest restructuring comes on the back of the KSP companies’ decision to withdraw seven vessels from Korea-Japan and Korea-Thailand routes, made in November, South Korea’s Ministry of Oceans and Fisheries informed.Furthermore, KSP shipping companies are planning to open new routes between China and Vietnam utilizing three of the vessels withdrawn in the earlier restructuring move.The Vietnam Haiphong route would also be reorganized as the companies look to explore new routes.“The voluntary restructuring of shipping companies has been progressing and we are very encouraged,” Eom Ki-doo, director of shipping and logistics at Ministry of Oceans and Fisheries (MOF), said.World Maritime News Staff
Tim Nolan has been named the next President and CEO of TOTE Inc., the parent company to TOTE Maritime and TOTE Services.Nolan, who currently serves as the President of TOTE Maritime Puerto Rico, has been with the TOTE family of companies since 2013.He will take over the helm July 16 from Anthony Chiarello who announced his retirement earlier this year.“We are pleased that Tim has accepted the role of President and CEO for TOTE. His strong leadership at TOTE Maritime Puerto Rico and more than 20 years in the transportation and logistics industry made him a natural choice to lead Saltchuk’s largest line of business,” Tim Engle, President of the company’s parent, Saltchuk, noted.Image Courtesy: TOTE/ Tim NolanAs informed, over the coming months, Nolan will work closely with Chiarello to ensure a smooth transition for the entire TOTE organization.The announcement is being made as TOTE puts its containership project at Philly Shipyard on hold. Namely, the duo has decided not to extend the letter of intent for the construction of four eco-friendly boxships with planned deliveries for the first pair in 2020 and the second pair in 2021.The decision to halt the shipbuilding deal was made as TOTE’s plans to enter the US mainland to Hawaii containership service were temporarily stopped as a result of its Phase 1 technical review of Piers 1 and 2 in Honolulu Harbor.Philly Shipyard said that it still intends to resume the project, but as there are no assurances that would be the case, in case of its cancellation, the yard would have to write-off up to USD 20 million for the project.The shipyard laid off around 10 percent of its employees in the first quarter of 2018 and started idling parts of its facilities as a means of adjusting its business operations to the lack of new orders.The company said it was continuing to seek new orders, however, should it fail to obtain more work, more layoffs would follow.
Image courtesy of WoodsideAustralian LNG player Woodside Energy signed a heads of agreement (HOA) with Uniper Global Commodities (Uniper) for the supply of the chilled fuel.Woodside would supply up to 0.6 million tons of LNG per annum over a period of four years commencing in 2019, the company said in a statement.Woodside CEO Peter Coleman said the LNG would be supplied from the company’s portfolio sources to markets in Europe and Asia.“This agreement illustrates further diversification of Woodside’s buyer relationships and the increasing interaction between participants in the Asia-Pacific and Atlantic LNG markets as international trading patterns become more liquid,” he said.Uniper CEO Keith Martin added the deal would see the company growing its Asian portfolio whilst leveraging its midstream assets in Europe.The HOA is conditional on the execution of a fully termed LNG sales and purchase agreement, Woodside said.
Perth & Kinross Council said in their latest announcement that communities along the banks of the River Almond will be given greater protection from flooding following the opening of a £25 million protection program.The completed scheme, which is the result of partnership working between the Council and its contractors Balfour Beatty, consists of a series of flood defenses along the River Almond and the East Pow Burn.The defenses comprise of flood walls, raised embankments and erosion protection measures.A total of £5.1m added social value has been achieved through this project, including £2.6m spent with local small to medium enterprises and £1.7m of value achieved through local employment and skills development programs.Sixty-eight per cent of the workforce employed on the scheme, including within the supply chain, is local to the project. Additionally, some 358 tonnes of waste material has been diverted from landfill for recycling.
Image courtesy of CheniereLiquefied natural gas exports from the U.S. increased for the third week in a row, according to data from the Energy Information Administration (EIA).EIA stated in its weekly report that thirteen LNG vessels, eight from Sabine Pass, two from Corpus Christi, and one each from Cove Point, Cameron, and Freeport departed from the United States between November 7 and November 13.The thirteen vessels held a combined LNG-carrying capacity of 47 bcf.It is worth noting that one vessel was loading at the Sabine Pass terminal on Wednesday, November 13.
Indonesia’s offshore vessel owner Wintermar has won contracts for two of its platform supply vessels (PSVs) from ‘a major oil and gas company’ for a total of seven years including options.Image source: WintermarWintermar said on Monday it had signed agreements to provide two PSVs for deck and cargo supply runs to support the drilling operations of ‘a major oil and gas company’ in Eastern Indonesia.Sugiman Layanto, managing director of Wintermar Offshore, said: “The project requires DP2 operations while the vessels are approaching the rig.“With our long experience in offshore deepwater drilling campaigns since 2011, we are confident to be able to meet the high standards required for this campaign.“We are committed to supporting SKK Migas (Indonesia’s upstream oil and gas regulator) to increase the oil and gas lifting in Indonesia. To aid regional development, Wintermar has started a crew development program and now have Papuan crew onboard our high-value vessels.”Erwin Suryadi, SKK Migas head of goods and services procurement management division, stated: “The Papuan Development program in this contract aims to develop local shipyards and use local Papuan crew members. This is an important contribution of the upstream oil and gas industry to build infrastructure in eastern Indonesia.”Spotted a typo? Have something more to add to the story? Maybe a nice photo? Contact our editorial team via email. Also, if you’re interested in showcasing your company, product or technology on Offshore Energy Today, please contact us via our advertising form where you can also see our media kit.
Imports of liquefied natural gas (LNG) into China have dropped in October compared to the corresponding month last year.China, the world’s second-largest importer of the chilled fuel, reported an 11.5 percent drop in imports during the month under review, the first drop in three years. Citing industry sources, Platts reports the drop is attributed to a lengthy shutdown at PetroChina’s Rudong LNG facility.Data from the Chinese General Administration of Customs shows that a total of 4.04 million tonnes of LNG were imported during the month, which compares to 4.60 million tonnes of LNG in October 2018.Data shows the imports plunged 20.8 percent down when compared to September when 5.10 million tonnes of the chilled fuel were imported into China.During the first ten months of the year, China imported a total of 47.4 million tonnes of LNG, 14 percent above 41.6 million tonnes imported during the corresponding period last year.In terms of value, October 2019 imports reached $1.8 billion with the ten-month import value reaching $22.85 billion, the data shows. LNG World News Staff
Four persons were killed and three abducted following a pirate attack on a Nigeria-flagged hopper dredger in the Gulf of Guinea on January 2, 2020.The 2,153 GT Ambika was attacked when operating some three nautical miles from the mouth of the Ramos River and nine nautical miles east of the Forcados Terminal in Nigeria, according to information provided by Dryad Global.There was a heavy exchange of fire between the embarked security personnel on the Ambika and the pirates in which four security guards were killed and two injured.After the firefight, the pirates boarded the 1979-built vessel and kidnapped three crew members, leaving behind five sailors. Two abducted men are Russians and one Indian, the maritime security company further said.As informed, this is the first offshore incident within this location since November 2018 when a vessel was fired upon.The 83.5-meter-long dredger, previously known as Galilei 2000 and owned by Jan de Nul, is now owned by a Lagos-based gas development company with operations upriver from the Ramos River entrance.World Maritime News Staff
After period of testing, the ATIR was towed from Spain to Orkney in September 2018. The ATIR was built and launched in Vigo, Spain in 2017, where it underwent a structured test programme to optimise the system. Magallanes has secured support through the Horizon 2020 MaRINET2 programme for the ATIR platform, deployed at EMEC’s Fall of Warness test site, and therefore requested consent from the regulator, Marine Scotland, to extend their testing schedule at EMEC. Magallanes Renovables deployed the ATIR platform at EMEC’s tidal test site in February 2019, as a part of Horizon 2020 Ocean_2G project. EMEC has opened a consultation on the revised decommissioning programme for Magallanes Renovables’ 2 MW ATIR platform. The public and stakeholders will be able to respond to the consultation until June 9, 2020. All received consultation responses will be supplied to the regulator and considered during the decommissioning programme determination and approval process executed by Marine Scotland, on behalf of Scottish Ministers, EMEC said. The tidal energy device exported first electricity to the UK national grid in March 2019.