PCA launches probe into taxi driver’s death at Suddie Police Station

first_imgFollowing a request by Attorney-at-Law Anil Nandlall, the Police Complaints Authority has begun investigating the death of Lalbachan Bachan, who died at the Suddie Police Station earlier this month.Nandlall, who is representing the family of the now dead man on Monday explained that statements were taken from Bachan’s relatives on July 16, 2019, by the Police Complaints Authority. Further, he added that the Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP), Shalimar Ali-Hack, has acknowledged a letter sent to her by him on behalf of the family of the now dead man.Dead: Lalbachan BachanIn her response, dated July 9, 2019, Ali-Hack stated, “I hereby inform you that I have directed the acting Crime Chief, Mr Kingston, to comply with the Police Complaints Authority Act and that the Chairman, Police Complaints Authority is to supervise the investigations as prescribed by Section 14 of the Police Complaints Authority Act, Chapter 17:02”.Meanwhile, the former Attorney General pointed out in his statement that the Top Cop, Leslie James, is yet to respond to his request for a thorough investigation into the man’s death.The appeal for an investigation into the death of the 39-year-old man was made by Nandlall on behalf of the deceased’s wife, Samanta Bachan, who publicly made calls for justice.These calls mounted after the post-mortem examination revealed that he died from asphyxiation, and photographs of the deceased demonstrated multiple injuries about the body.Lalbachan Bachan’s children, wife and relatives during a protest in July calling for justiceBachan was arrested on June 28, 2019, at Maria’s Lodge, Essequibo Coast. He died during the night on June 30.The widow recalled that her husband was arrested on June 12 for driving under the influence of alcohol. He was placed on $20,000 bail at the Suddie Police Station and was told to appear before the Suddie Magistrate’s Court on June 20. The matter was adjourned and he was scheduled to return to court on June 28. However, after he failed to attend court, an arrest warrant was issued for him.According to the widow, Police visited their home on the same day and placed him in the lock-ups at the Suddie Police Station. She said that she was not allowed to see her husband until the morning of June 30. The widow recalled that her husband inquired about their kids and complained of feeling unwell.On July 1, she recounted that as the family was preparing to visit the police station, they received news that he had died. She explained that she rushed to the Suddie Public Hospital where she observed her husband bleeding from his head, which was also swollen.After the incident, Police, in a release to the media, claimed that Bachan was the lone prisoner in the cell. A post-mortem examination conducted by Dr Nehaul Singh on the man’s body gave the cause of death as asphyxiation.The widow’s lawyer is arguing that the Guyana Police Force (GPF) is responsible for the safety of persons in their custody and must be answerable when such situations occur.Moreover, he told this publication that it is illegal for relatives to be prevented by the police from visiting their imprisoned family member.last_img

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *